Remodelling your kitchen is no easy feat, but it’s one of the best things you can do to boost your home’s value. No matter what you spend, you have a good chance of recouping a high percentage of that cost when you sell your home. If kitchen remodelling is in your plans for 2015, make sure you tackle it the right way.
Follow these tips for beginning a kitchen remodel:
- Focus on what you want. Think about what kinds of changes you want to make to your kitchen. Does the current layout work, or would a different one be more efficient? Keep in mind that many buyers prefer kitchens to be more open.
- Consider size. Determine how you can put your kitchen size to the best use. Look for places where you can add storage, or consider adding an island if you have enough room.
- Factor in electrical and plumbing systems. If you’re thinking of making big changes to your kitchen, take your current electrical and plumbing systems into consideration. You might need to make changes to these, such as ensuring that the wiring can handle any new technology you’re adding.
- Look at your lifestyle. Consider how your kitchen is used most often. Does the family tend to gather there? Do you entertain guests often? Are you a cooking aficionado who enjoys spending time preparing meals and trying out new recipes?
- Set a budget. Before beginning a kitchen remodel, come up with an amount that you’re comfortable with spending. Make sure it’s a realistic one, and look for ways to save on certain parts of your project. Consider more cost-effective finishes or materials if you need to cut spending down.