Home offices provide a private spot to get some work done or handle tasks such as bill paying, but they don’t have to be office-like in terms of design. When working on sprucing up your home for the market, consider doing something a bit different with your home office design.
Rather than sticking to a home office filled with neutral tones and sleek furnishings, go for a more vintage look. A cottage-style home office provides a quaint and cozy place to work. Here are some tips on how you can achieve this look:
- Add an area rug. If your home office has a wood or tile floor, place an area rug with a vintage pattern on it. This adds splashes of color to the room and makes the floor more comfortable.
- Use a floor lamp. Create more desk space by using a floor lamp rather than a desk lamp. Look for a decorative floor lamp that gives off a warm glow.
- Hang an oval mirror. You can make your home office look roomier by hanging a mirror on the wall. Choose an oval mirror with a vintage look to go with the overall cottage style.
- Buy a used desk. Look for an older desk that you can fix up a bit, rather than buying a brand new one. If the desk is in good condition, you might just have to strip it and repaint it.
- Choose wallpaper. Instead of having plain painted walls, look for wallpaper with a nature theme, such as woodlands or flowers. This should fit in well with your vintage home office design.