Five best tips for moving house
- Stay organised. Staying organised can’t be emphasised enough when it comes to important moving tips for relocating. There is no amount of planning that can prepare you for unexpected issues that arise on your moving day, but you can prepare for a comfortable move by packing and organising your belongings in advance.Also, by taking an inventory of all possessions, scheduling your moving truck two weeks prior to your move and planning where your furniture will go in your new home.
- Gather packing supplies far in advance. There’s nothing worse than scrambling at the last minute for boxes, bubble wrap, and packing tape to pack up the last of your belongings.One of the most important moving tips to remember, is to gather new or used boxes, bubble wrap or butcher paper, packing tape, and a permanent marker 4 to 6 weeks prior to relocation.
- Label all boxes clearly. Make sure that all boxes are labelled clearly with their contents. You can take it a step further by using colour coding to organise where boxes will go in your new home.As an example, label all boxes in red for the kitchen, blue for bedrooms, and green for bathrooms. This will make it easy and efficient for movers to unload your belongings. So the quicker that your movers work, the chances are you will have to pay less in total moving expenses.
- Have extra cash on hand. It is wise to have extra cash on hand in case some type of minor emergency occurs.This could include for example plumbing issues in your new home, movers having to charge more than what was originally estimated, or having to stay in a hotel overnight while traveling. Be prepared by keeping extra cash with you throughout your house move.
- Don’t forget to plan for the first night in your new home. One of the most essential moving tips is to plan for the first night that you’ll spend in your new home.The odds are that you will spend all day and evening moving and unpacking, yet you definitely won’t be settled in completely by the time you’re ready to hit the hay.Set aside a box or suitcase to hold everything you will need for the first 24 hours of your move and label it clearly. This can include utensils for cooking, toiletries, a change of clothing and bedding so that you can sleep comfortably.